Freescale 公司的i.MX53xD多媒体应用处理器是基于ARM Cortex™-A8内核,工作频率高达1.2GHz,提供DDR2/LVDDR2-800, LPDDR2-800或DDR3-800 DRAM存储器,以及外设如WLAN,蓝业,GPS,硬驱,照相传感器和双显示器.主要用在平板电脑,智能设备,媒体电话,互联网监视器,高端移动设备(MID),HD视频功能的高端多媒体播放器以及PND等.本文介绍了i.MX53xD 主要特性和功能框图,以及Digi公司的基于i.MX53高端有线和无线网络连接模块ConnectCore主要特性,框图,特性/优势以及详细指标,电路图和材料清单.
The i.MX53xD multimedia application processor represents Freescale Semiconductor’s advanced
implementation of the ARM Cortex™-A8 core. It belongs to a growing family of multimedia-focused products that offer high performance processing and are optimized for lowest power consumption.
The i.MX53xD processor features ARM Cortex™-A8 core, which operates at clock speeds as high as 1.2 GHz.It provides DDR2/LVDDR2-800, LPDDR2-800, or DDR3-800 DRAM memories. This device is suitable for applications such as the following:
• Smart devices
• Netbooks (web tablets)
• Nettops (Internet desktop devices)
• Thin clients
• Media phones
• Internet monitors
• High-end mobile Internet devices (MID)
• High-end portable media players (PMP) with HD video capability
• Portable navigation devices (PND)
The flexibility of the i.MX53xD architecture allows for its use in a wide variety of applications. As the heart of the application chipset, the i.MX53xD processor provides all the interfaces for connecting peripherals, such as WLAN, Bluetooth™, GPS, hard drive, camera sensors, and dual displays.Features of the i.MX53xD processor include the following:
• Applications processor—The i.MX53xD processors boost the capabilities of high-tier portable applications by satisfying the ever increasing MIPS needs of operating systems and games. Freescale’s Dynamic Voltage and Frequency Scaling (DVFS) provides significant power reduction, allowing the device to run at lower voltage and frequency with sufficient MIPS for tasks such as audio decode.
• Multilevel memory system—The multilevel memory system of the i.MX53xD is based on the L1 instruction and data caches, L2 cache, internal and external memory. The i.MX53xD supports many types of external memory devices, including DDR2, low voltage DDR2, LPDDR2, DDR3, NOR Flash, PSRAM, cellular RAM, NAND Flash (MLC and SLC), OneNAND™, and managed NAND including eMMC up to rev 4.4.
• Smart speed technology—The i.MX53xD device has power management throughout the IC that enables the rich suite of multimedia features and peripherals to consume minimum power in both active and various low power modes. Smart speed technology enables the designer to deliver a feature-rich product requiring levels of power far lower than industry expectations.
• Multimedia powerhouse—The multimedia performance of the i.MX53xD processor ARM core is boosted by a multilevel cache system, Neon (including advanced SIMD, 32-bit single-precision floating point support) and vector floating point coprocessors. The system is further enhanced by a multi-standard hardware video codec, autonomous image processing unit (IPU), SD and HD720p triple video (TV) encoder with triple video DAC, and a programmable smart DMA (SDMA) controller.
• Powerful graphics acceleration—Graphics is the key to mobile game, navigation, web browsing, and other applications. The i.MX53xD processors provide two independent, integrated graphics processing units: an OpenGL® ES 2.0 3D graphics accelerator (33 Mtri/s, 200 Mpix/s, and 800 Mpix/s z-plane performance) and an OpenVG™ 1.1 2D graphics accelerator (200 Mpix/s).
• Interface flexibility—The i.MX53xD processor supports connection to a variety of interfaces,including LCD controller for two displays and CMOS sensor interface, high-speed USB on-the-go with PHY, plus three high-speed USB hosts, multiple expansion card ports (high-speed MMC/SDIO host and others), 10/100 Ethernet controller, and a variety of other popular interfaces (PATA, UART, I2C, and I2S serial audio, among others).
• Advanced security—The i.MX53xD processors deliver hardware-enabled security features that enable secure e-commerce, digital rights management (DRM), information encryption, secure boot, and secure software downloads. For detailed information about the i.MX53xD security features contact a Freescale representative.
The i.MX53xD application processor is a follow-on to the i.MX51, with improved performance, power efficiency, and multimedia capabilities.
The i.MX53xD multimedia applications processor (AP) is based on the ARM Platform, which has the following features:
• MMU, L1 instruction and L1 data cache
• Unified L2 cache
• Maximum frequency of the core (including Neon, VFPv3 and L1 cache): 1–1.2 GHz
• Neon coprocessor (SIMD media processing architecture) and vector floating point (VFP-Lite)
coprocessor supporting VFPv3
The memory system consists of the following components:
• Level 1 cache:
— Instruction (32 Kbyte)
— Data (32 Kbyte)
• Level 2 cache:
— Unified instruction and data (256 Kbyte)
• Level 2 (internal) memory:
— Boot ROM, including HAB (64 Kbyte)
— Internal multimedia/shared, fast access RAM (128 Kbyte)
— Secure/non-secure RAM (16 Kbyte)
• External memory interfaces:
— 16/32-bit DDR2-800, LV-DDR2-800 or DDR3-800 up to 2 Gbyte
— 32-bit LPDDR2
— 8/16-bit NAND SLC/MLC Flash, up to 66 MHz, 4/8/14/16-bit ECC
— 8/16-bit NOR Flash, PSRAM, and cellular RAM.
— 32-bit multiplexed mode NOR Flash, PSRAM & cellular RAM.
— 8-bit Asynchronous (DTACK mode) EIM interface.
— All EIM pins are muxed on other interfaces (data with NFC pins). I/O muxing logic selects
EIM port, as primary muxing at system boot.
— Samsung OneNAND™ and managed NAND including eMMC up to rev 4.4 (in muxed I/O
The i.MX53xD system is built around the following system on chip interfaces:
• 64-bit AMBA AXI v1.0 bus—used by ARM platform, multimedia accelerators (such as VPU, IPU,
GPU3D, GPU2D) and the external memory controller (EXTMC) operating at 200 MHz.
• 32-bit AMBA AHB 2.0 bus—used by the rest of the bus master peripherals operating at 133 MHz.
• 32-bit IP bus—peripheral bus used for control (and slow data traffic) of the most system peripheral devices operating at 66 MHz.
The i.MX53xD makes use of dedicated hardware accelerators to achieve state-of-the-art multimedia performance. The use of hardware accelerators provides both high performance and low power consumption while freeing up the CPU core for other tasks.
The i.MX53xD incorporates the following hardware accelerators:
• VPU, version 3—video processing unit
• GPU3D—3D graphics processing unit, OpenGL ES 2.0, version 3, 33 Mtri/s, 200 Mpix/s, and
800 Mpix/s z-plane performance, 256 Kbyte RAM memory
• GPU2D—2D graphics accelerator, OpenVG 1.1, version 1, 200 Mpix/s performance,
• IPU, version 3M—image processing unit
• ASRC—asynchronous sample rate converter
The i.MX53xD includes the following interfaces to external devices:
• Hard disk drives:
— PATA, up to U-DMA mode 5, 100 MByte/s
— SATA II, 1.5 Gbps
— Five interfaces available. Total rate of all interfaces is up to 180 Mpixels/s, 24 bpp. Up to two
interfaces may be active at once.
— Two parallel 24-bit display ports. The primary port is up to 165 Mpix/s (for example,
UXGA at 60 Hz).
— LVDS serial ports: one dual channel port up to 165 Mpix/s or two independent single channel
ports up to 85 MP/s (for example, WXGA at 60 Hz) each.
— TV-out/VGA port up to 150 Mpix/s (for example, 1080p60).
• Camera sensors:
— Two parallel 20-bit camera ports. Primary up to 180-MHz peak clock frequency, secondary up
to 120-MHz peak clock frequency.
• Expansion cards:
— Four SD/MMC card ports: three supporting 416 Mbps (8-bit i/f) and one enhanced port
supporting 832 Mbps (8-bit, eMMC 4.4).
— High-speed (HS) USB 2.0 OTG (up to 480 Mbps), with integrated HS USB PHY
— Three USB 2.0 (480 Mbps) hosts:
– High-speed host with integrated on-chip high-speed PHY
– Two high-speed hosts for external HS/FS transceivers through ULPI/serial, support IC-USB
• Miscellaneous interfaces:
— One-wire (OWIRE) port
— Three I2S/SSI/AC97 ports, supporting up to 1.4 Mbps, each connected to audio multiplexer
(AUDMUX) providing four external ports.
— Five UART RS232 ports, up to 4.0 Mbps each. One supports 8-wire, the other four support
— Two high speed enhanced CSPI (ECSPI) ports plus one CSPI port
— Three I2C ports, supporting 400 kbps
— Fast Ethernet controller, 10/100 Mbps
— Sony Phillips Digital Interface (SPDIF), Rx and Tx
— Enhanced serial audio interface (ESAI), up to 1.4 Mbps each channel
— Key pad port (KPP)
— Two pulse-width modulators (PWM)
— GPIO with interrupt capabilities
The system supports efficient and smart power control and clocking:
• Supporting DVFS (dynamic voltage and frequency scaling) technique for low power modes
• Power gating SRPG (State Retention Power Gating) for ARM core and Neon
• Support for various levels of system power modes
• Flexible clock gating control scheme
• On-chip temperature monitor
• On-chip oscillator amplifier supporting 32.768 kHz external crystal
• On-chip LDO voltage regulators for PLLs
Security functions are enabled and accelerated by the following hardware/features:
• ARM TrustZone including the TZ architecture (separation of interrupts, memory mapping, and so on)
• Secure JTAG controller (SJC)—Protecting JTAG from debug port attacks by regulating or blocking the access to the system debug features
• Secure real-time clock (SRTC)—Tamper resistant RTC with dedicated power domain and mechanism to detect voltage and clock glitches
• Real-time integrity checker, version 3 (RTICv3)—RTIC type1, enhanced with SHA-256 engine
• SAHARAv4 Lite—Cryptographic accelerator that includes true random number generator (TRNG)
• Security controller, version 2 (SCCv2)—Improved SCC with AES engine, secure/non-secure RAM and support for multiple keys as well as TZ/non-TZ separation
• Central security unit (CSU)—Enhancement for the IIM (IC Identification Module). CSU is configured during boot by eFUSEs, and determines the security level operation mode as well as
the TrustZone (TZ) policy
• Advanced High Assurance Boot (A-HAB)—HAB with the following embedded enhancements:
SHA-256, 2048-bit RSA key, version control mechanism, warm boot, CSU, and TZ initialization
The network-enabled ConnectCore for i.MX53 module family is a highly integrated and future-proof System-on-Module (SoM) solution based on the new Freescale ®i.MX53 application processor. It offers a high-performance 1 GHz ARM ®Cortex™-A8 core, wired and wireless connectivity options, powerful 1080p/720p video encoding/decoding capabilities and a complete peripheral set.
The ConnectCore for i.MX53 family builds on the successful ConnectCore for i.MX51 modules by providing a form factor compatible option with significantly improved processing, memory, video and connectivity capabilities. It is a scalable and energy-efficient module family, ideal for medical devices, security/surveillance equipment, industrial applications and digital signage.Complete and cost-efficient Digi JumpStart Kits ®for Digi Embedded Linux, Timesys LinuxLink, Android and Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7 allow immediate and professional embedded product development with dramatically reduced design risk and time-to-market.
The network-enabled ConnectCore for i.MX53 is a highly integrated and future-proof system-on-module (SoM) solution based on the new Freescale i.MX53 application processor with a high performance 1 GHz ARM Cortex-A8 core, wired and wireless connectivity, powerful 1080p/720p video encoding/decoding capabilities, dual-CAN bus interface and a complete set of peripherals.
The ConnectCore for i.MX53 family builds on the successful ConnectCore for i.MX51 modules by providing a form factor compatible option with significantly improved processing, memory, video and connectivity capabilities. It is a scalable and energy-efficient module family that is ideal for medical devices, security/surveillance equipment, industrial applications, kiosk systems and digital signage integration.
Modules in the ConnectCore i.MX family feature the design, development and administrative advantages offered by Device Cloud by Etherios™. This secure, highly-scalable platform seamlessly ties enterprise applications and remote devices together.
Device Cloud empowers IT, network operations and customer support organizations to conquer the challenges of managing equipment in their device networks. Network managers can remotely configure, upgrade, monitor and troubleshoot remote devices, and create applications that improve productivity, speed and efficiency.
Minimize risk with Digi Software Development Support
Our software support services significantly improve time-to-market by providing experienced software design engineers who can provide programming support, code consultation, and trouble shooting for many of the current development environments including but not limited to: Python, Java, Android, C/C++, and C#.
The ConnectCore for i.MX53 modules combine industry-leading performance, low power consumption and easy design integration with key features like integrated power management IC, on-chip multimedia support, including multi-format 1080p video hardware decoding, 2D/3D graphics acceleration, dual display/camera interface, hardware encryption engine, 802.11abgn Wi-Fi interface (150 Mbps), Bluetooth 4.0 with HDP support, dual 10/100 Ethernet option, dual-CAN bus, SATA II storage interface and a comprehensive set of additional peripherals.
Modules in the ConnectCore i.MX family feature the design, development and administrative advantages offered by the Device Cloud. This robust cloud platform makes it easy to configure and manage deployments and integrate devices with virtually any application. Device manufacturers can build secure, highly scalable and cost-effective solutions that seamlessly tie assets to applications, regardless of location.
Complete and cost-efficient Digi JumpStart Kits® for Digi Embedded Linux, Android and Microsoft Windows Embedded Compact 7 allow immediate and professional embedded product development with dramatically reduced design risk and time-to-market. Additional support for Yocto Embedded Linux is also available for download.
图3. 图2. i.MX53高端网络连接模块ConnectCore框图
• High-performance 32-bit System-on-Module
• Long-term product availability solution
• Single and dual 10/100 Mbit Ethernet networking
• Pre-certified 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi interface
• High-performance 2D/3D Graphics Processing Unit
• Hardware video processing with 1080p decoding
• Low-emission design with FCC Class B compliance
• ZigBee, cellular and satellite connectivity options
• Industrial operating temperature support